In this day and age many people are starting to create video content. This included for home use, YouTube, and many other places. While many people may want to start video editing there are a few things that he/she will need to get.
1. A Computer
-This Computer does not need to be a desktop computer. You could use a laptop or even a tablet like the iPad. However If you are using a windows computer, you should be using a quad-core and at least 4GB of memory. You can do video editing on a Dual Core computer however it is just slower and it will take longer. You can use Mac OSX, Windows, or Linux.
2. A Camera
-There are many camera’s these days. You can get small video camera’s, large video camera’s, point and shoot digital camera’s, DSLR’s, and professional video camera’s. While all of these are great how do you know which one is right for you?
- Small video camera’s: These will usually run you about $50 to $100 dollars and the majority of them shoot in HD. However they do not have a lot of memory and will run out fast if shooting in HD.
- Video Camera’s: These are the dedicated video camera’s that most everybody as heard of. They can have HD video recording, and most of them record to either flash, cassate tape, or SD card. These are the best dedicated video cameras. If they have a firewire port you can also use them as a webcam. (This is the best way to live stream an event)
- Digital Camera’s: These are your most common camera’s. Only recently have these camera’s been able to do HD video recording. These camera’s will run anywhere from $10 to $600. These are the best all around camera’s for the average consumer
- DSLR’s: These are the big bulky camera’s that professional photographer’s use. They have control over the tiniest of details and are very good at taking videos as well as pictures. DSLR’s will run you $200 or more depending on the brand and the quality of the product, as well as the features
- The Professional Video Camera: These are the camera’s that TV stations use. They are not for the average consumer. These will cost you $2,000 or more
In order to make you video, you will need some sort of video editing and even photo editing software. For my video editing software I use Power Director 7. It is inbetween Windows Live Movie Make and Sony Vegas Pro. For my photo editing software I use GIMP (an open source image editor) and Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9. If you use Mac OSX you can use iMovie which is a free video editor. If you want a more professional video editor then you have Final Cut Pro X.